Skip to main content

This Is Definitely About The Bike



In case you haven't heard yet: I GOT A NEW BIKE!!!

Not just any new bike. A Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3


Have I mentioned that I am OVER-THE-MOON EXCITED about my new bike? 

Yes. This is a big deal. If you know me, you know just how big of a deal! I will tell you why. But first I am going to back up a bit. Or a lot.

I did my first triathlon in 1996. Almost 18 years ago. Some of you may still have been in diapers then. Which means it was a LONG time ago. My German triathlon club, TRT Remchingen - together with Cycle Sport - helped me get on my first TT (and road) bike. A Cube bike. Haven't heard of them? Well, let me show you what it looked like. Aluminum with 650c wheels and all. It was hot stuff then. And, apparently, I thought I was hot stuff then too. What a crack up! 

in front of my parents' house in Germany, age 17


It served me well for many years. 7 years to be exact. I brought it with me to the States during my exchange year in high school and again when I went to BYU. We had a lot of fun together, survived several crashes, and saw many beautiful places. Here it is not too long before retiring in my parents' garage:

racing in Utah, age 20

In 2003 it was time for a new ride! I basically went to the local Provo bike shop, saw the Giant TCR 1 and said: That's the bike I want. Rode it around the parking lot for a few minutes, paid for it with the help of my parents, and raced on it for the next 6 years. No bike fit of any sort. I adjusted the seat and off I went. As you can see in the picture below, I would've greatly benefitted from some bike fitting:

Challenge Roth 2007 - First 140.6

I still ride the bike quite a lot. Especially during the winter months. Karl turned it into a road bike and I love it! It fits much better now and is still in decent shape. Even same saddle, same wheels. 


At the end of 2008, after several years of having been made fun of for my ancient and low-end bike, it was time for un upgrade with the help of my sponsor, Salt Lake Running Company. I really didn't have a choice or say in this. If I wanted their help, which I needed, it was going to be a Guru. And still I could only afford an aluminum frame. So the Guru Ventus it was. 

in 2010

in 2012

Still not nearly as fancy as what most of my competitors were riding but it worked for me. And because it was a custom frame, it fit much better than either of the other TT bikes. I rode the Ventus in many races, including three 70.3 World Championships where I placed Top 5 in my AG each time. Sometimes it even got dressed up with some fancy racing wheels that I borrowed:

at Oceanside 70.3 in 2012

At the end of 2012, I noticed a crack in the frame. This was bad news and I didn't really want to deal with it. So I kept riding the bike until June 2013 but I was getting increasingly worried about it. At the St. George 70.3 I wasn't sure the bike was going to make it through the race in one piece. I contacted Guru hoping they would replace the frame or at least let me upgrade to a carbon frame that we could afford. That was not the case. We had to pay to ship it there, they fixed my old aluminum frame, and sent it back. The whole thing took a couple of months and I was stressed! I had a few important races coming up and who likes to go a whole summer without a proper bike? Not me! 


Sean Warren and his Fezzari T5 to the rescue! Being the super stud that he is, he loaned me his bike not just for a couple of weeks but 6 months!* I raced 3 Halfs and 1 Full on this bike and loved it! But he kinda wanted it back and I had the Guru frame sitting in a box next to my bed, so I brought it back up to Utah at Christmas time and said Good-bye to a good friend:


*It may sounds like this was easy or simple but it was neither. We went through at least 3 other bikes that Coach was willing to let me borrow. Karl spent countless hours adjusting and re-adjusting bike after bike but I wasn't happy. I may not know much about bikes and I am really not that picky but I do know whether or not a bike is going to fit.

I really didn't have high hopes of getting a new bike anytime soon. Or at least not while Karl is still in school and I am still refusing to get a real job. But what's the point of getting a job to be able to afford a new bike if then I don't have time to actually ride the bike? That doesn't make any sense. To me at least. Karl was ready and willing to put the Guru back together but I wouldn't let him. Because what if - somehow - someone - was willing to help me get on a decent bike? 

Norcom Fuji Straight 1.3

Enter T3 Triathlon. Amy and Shaun are taking such good care of me, I am one blessed and happy girl! I have dreamed of having a carbon bike but never thought I would have electronic shifting. Ever. And now I have both! Plus some sweet racing wheels. I am absolutely stoked! And so grateful!!! Not only do I get to work with and represent T3 Triathlon but now I am also part of the Fuji family and I am loving it! And by family I mean: The local Fuji rep has invited me to stay with him down in Scottsdale here and there and ride in the warm weather on dry roads! I am definitely taking him up on that offer! 

girl bike power!

I met up with Amy and Shaun and a bunch of other T3 girls in St. George to pick up the Fuji. What better place to try out a brand new bike?!? Although it's always difficult to adjust to a new bike and figure out all the little details, I had a blast! 

Now the question is: What am I going to name this new family member? So far I have had two bikes named Indurain and one named Virenque. After the cycling heroes of my youth*. 

*Yes. I have hundreds of Tour de France articles that I cut out of German and French newspapers neatly organized in many folders at my parents' house. For years, I watched every single stage with my dad. And every weekend on family rides I was Indurain, my dad was Rominger, my sister Chiappucci, and my mom the water boy. Haha. Good times! 


Not sure yet. But it's definitely a boy. Suggestions are welcome. 

Happy Riding! 
Whether inside or outdoors. 
It's never a bad day to ride! 




Comments

Congrats on your new bike!
erin said…
Great story! New bike day is the best day! Enjoy! :)
Anonymous said…
Nancy and I are enjoying having you visit with us! Glad to have you part of the family?
wilson4 said…
I loved reading about your history with bikes. I crack up when I see younger pictures of you. I am amazed at how your athletic body has changed. One thing, I am not riding with you for awhile, carbon frame and electronic shifting!!! No one stands a chance against you now. You are in a totally different league now. So happy for you!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec